This practice takes complaints very seriously and we try to ensure that all our patients are pleased with their experience at our service. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. Any complaint made will be handled in a caring and sensitive way.
• The person responsible for dealing with any complaint about the service is Sheila Shepherd.
• If a patient complains on the telephone or in person, we will listen to his or her complaint and offer to refer him or her back to their dentist if the complaint is clinical. Brief details will be taken of the complaint and passed on. If we cannot arrange this within a reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will be made for another person to deal with it. If the complaint is non-clinical, Sheila shepherd will endeavour to resolve the complaint as soon as possible, usually within 3 working days.
• If a patient complains in writing the letter received will be acknowledged by Sheila Shepherd with 3 working days and will enclose a copy of this code of practice. The letter of complaint will then be referred to the dentist if the complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges. We will seek to investigate the complaint within 10 working days of the complaint being received to give an explanation of the circumstances which led to the complaint. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within 10 working days we will notify the patient, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
• We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing to the patient immediately after completing our investigation.
• Proper and comprehensive reports are kept of any complaint received.
If in a rare case you remain unhappy with the outcome to your complaint you can discuss this matter further with:
• Or call Independent Complaints Advisory Service ICAS on 0300 456 2370
• For complaints involving private treatment call the Dental Complaint Service 08456 120 540 www.dentalcomplaint.org.uk